The American Underground is a entrepreneurship-focused coworking space and professional community. With three campuses in downtown Durham, the AU is home to 200+ startups, entrepreneurs, investors, agencies, remote workers, nonprofits, and more.
The AU is seeking to fill a hands-on and dynamic new role to support our thriving community of members. This position will play a key role in ensuring that the AU is welcoming, inclusive, and productive for members, and that we deliver high-quality events and community-building activities. This position will report to the AU’s Director of Operations, and is an in-person position based at the AU’s locations in downtown Durham.
The American Underground seeks to be the most diverse startup hub in the world, and our team should reflect that. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply to this position.
- Serve as a visible, friendly, welcoming steward of the AU community. Assist AU members with day-to-day questions, concerns, and ideas.
- Onboard new AU members with a welcoming and inclusive approach. This includes setting up key fobs, delivering orientation sessions, and assisting with any questions as they get started.
- Ensure that all locations are ready for AU members to work productively. This includes making sure that the coffee is fresh, the conference rooms are reset, the tech is working smoothly, and that we maintain an inventory of supplies.
- Provide tours to prospective members and outside groups.
- Liaise with the property managers and housekeeping vendor on building maintenance, cleanliness, and/or safety issues.
- Assist with regular member-focused events. This includes weekly Member Mixers, monthly New Member Brunches, and other community-building activities.
- Assist with the move-in/move-out process including moving desks, chairs, etc.
- 1-3 years experience working in events, retail, customer service, or another customer-facing role
- Must have a positive attitude, confident but friendly approach, and a desire to be the best
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask, and good attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and collaborate with a team
- Interest in startups and entrepreneurship is a plus!
Hours and Compensation
- Most hours during business hours, with some evening work around events
- Salary: $40,000-$45,000 plus benefits