Engineering Manager (Remote)
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2023
About Raptor Maps
Solar power is the largest source of new energy in the world. Raptor Maps is a fast-growing, venture-backed, MIT-born climate tech startup that is building software to enable the solar energy industry to scale. Parties across the entire solar lifecycle use Raptor Maps’ data model to manage ever growing utility-scale solar portfolios. We are an industry leader with hundreds of customers, including owners, builders, operators, and aerial service providers, across over 45 countries with 200+ million solar panels under management. Our software platform is essential in the fight against climate change.
As the Engineering Manager of our Solar Automation squad, you will play a pivotal role in leading a group of highly skilled engineers and researchers dedicated to developing state-of-the-art solutions to automate processing of imagery and other data collected via drones as well as other robotic platforms. Your expertise in managing technical projects, guiding teams, and your deep understanding of computer vision and geospatial principles will be essential in propelling our automation systems to new heights of accuracy, efficiency, and reliability.
- Leadership and Team Management
- Lead and mentor a team of engineers and researchers, fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment for innovation and professional growth.
- Set clear goals, provide regular feedback via 1:1’s, design and code reviews, and conduct performance evaluations to ensure the team's success and individual development.
- Technical Strategy and Roadmap
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders, product managers, and other teams to define and refine the technical strategy and roadmap for our automation projects.
- Identify opportunities for enhancing existing technologies and developing novel solutions to address industry challenges.
- Project Planning and Execution
- Plan, prioritize, and manage the execution of automation projects, ensuring on-time delivery and meeting high-quality standards.
- Oversee the design, implementation, testing, and deployment of cutting-edge algorithms and systems.
- Applied Research & Development
- Stay up to date with the latest advancements in computer vision, geospatial science, and related fields to drive continuous improvement and innovation within the team.
- Enable the squad to execute on longer running research efforts and simultaneously deliver iterative shorter-term results to production.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration
- Collaborate with platform, quality, and product squads to integrate automation solutions seamlessly into our applications.
- Work closely with product managers to understand business requirements and translate them into technical solutions.
- Performance Optimization and Troubleshooting
- Analyze system performance and identify opportunities for optimization, efficiency improvements, and error reduction.
- Intellectual curiosity - You love learning new things fast and staying up on technology. You quickly become interested and experiment. You ask silly questions by nature.
- Intelligence - You can learn anything if you put your mind to it. You’ve demonstrated excellence in diverse fields or interests and can wear many hats.
- Drive - You are highly self-motivated and enjoy making an impact. You’re focused, resourceful, and enjoy working alongside a driven team.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, or related field.
- Proven experience (2+years) in leading engineering and/or research teams, preferably in the domain of computer vision, machine learning, geospatial science and/or robotics.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to convey technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders effectively.
- Strong background in machine learning principles, algorithms, and techniques, with hands-on experience in applied research.
- Proficiency in programming languages like Python, C++, or similar, and experience with relevant libraries and frameworks(e.g., OpenCV, TensorFlow, PyTorch).
- Must be primarily located in the contiguous US
- Must be authorized to work in the US
All Raptor Maps Team Members Have:
Complete ownership and accountability over their role and success in the team.
Transparency into the operations of the rest of the company and are expected to be transparent and communicate honestly and effectively.
A sense of urgency. We are tackling a global problem, working in a fast-paced industry, and building a once in a lifetime company at Raptor Maps.
Raptor Maps is a remote-first company with employees across the country and headquarters at Greentown Labs in Boston, MA. Team members are free to work anywhere in the lower 48 states. A few remote benefits include:
- Paid travel for in-person team trips
- Healthcare with dental and vision options
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Desk budget
- Monthly remote social events and plenty of DoorDash credit
- Amazing team members that tend to love memes, pets, solar, and being active
There’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. However you identify, and whatever your background, we encourage you to apply if you’re excited about this role and the future of solar.
Check out details on our Series B!